Search this Blog

Classical Music

What do I mean by classical music for this site? It is a broad term. In this website, it has two meanings: first, I refer it to the music of the Classical period, circa 1750-1830, as personified by Franz Haydn, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, and Ludwig van Beethoven, and second, I refer classical to 'art' music, as opposed to popular, jazz or folk music.

As interest dictates, my scope mainly covers the earliest music chants to late Romantic Periods. And who can discount J.S. Bach, Handel, and Vivaldi in Baroque, or the madrigals of the Renaissance?

The Classical period has been called the Golden Age of Music for it was this time that the major forms of classical music were fully developed. These forms are the symphony, concerto, sonata and string quartet.

With classical music, the importance of formal structure in the arts - symmetry and form - was stressed, as against the elaborate ornamentation of the Baroque, giving way to new simplicity and elegance. This does not mean that the emotional content of Baroque was dispensed with, for it was ever present, but was never allowed to block the clarity and formal structure in Classical music.

I'm not after a scholarly pursuit or a dissertation of the life, times and music of a maestro being mentioned or discussed, although it's fine by me too, personally. But I'd like a lighter treatment of entries as we go along.  A stimulating discussion is splendid. Above all, I want my friends and interested visitors to enjoy and have fun.

Viva musica!

Regards, Tel
26 July 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment