Search this Blog

Checklist Prior Sending Your Manuscript

Manuscript readiness check before sending it


Tips to ask yourself before sending a formal document or your manuscript. Checking on your abbreviations, capitalizations and cliché.


Whether it's a memo, report, letter or proposal, ask yourself these questions before sending out anything:
  1. What's my purpose?
  2. Have I clearly said what I'm trying to say?
  3. Are my thoughts coherent and consistent? 
  4. Is my document "reader-centered" rather than "writer-centered"
  5. Have I checked spellings, capitalizations, punctuations, abbreviations, etc. I'm not sure of?
  6. Have I eliminated cliches, buzz words, jargons, etc.?
  7. Have I varied the length of my sentences and paragraphs so as not to bore my receiver?
  8. Have I chosen the appropriate and best words I want to convey?
  9. Are my ideas clear and presented in a logical manner?
  10. Is my  document to the point and short as I can get?
  11. Have I written in my natural voice while maintaining my respect for the person I'm sending it to?
  12. Does my closing paragraph encourage enough for the other person to act and respond?

Basic Capitalization Rules

  • Capitalize the first word of every sentence.
  • Capitalize words derived from proper names: British, American, Australian, Victorian
  • Capitalize the proper names of people. places and things: John, Paris, London, White House
  • Capitalize the days of the week:  Sunday, Monday, Friday.

  • Capitalize the names of holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter.
  • Capitalize titles of offices when used directly before a name: Prime Minister Thatcher, President Obama, Governor Smith.
  • Capitalize "vice" when used in front of a name: Vice President Biden
  • Capitalize the names of family members when used with a name: Grandma Moses, Uncle Charlie, Aunt Jane.
  • Capitalize common names with place names: Seventh Avenue, Amazon River, Wimpole Road
  • Capitalize historical events and ages: Reformation, Second World War

Most Common Abbreviations



  • a.m. ante meridiem, before noon

  • p.m.  post meridiem, after noon

  • e.g.  exempli gratia, for example or example given

  • etc.  et cetera, and so forth

  • ibid.  ibidem, in the same place

  • i.e.  id est, that is

Clichés to avoid


Words and phrases that listeners and readers may be tired of.

  • At the end of the day
  • At this moment in time
  • like (too much use as if it has become a form of punctuation)
  • With all due respect

Other terms include:

  • absolutely
  • address the issue
  • awesome
  • ballpark figure
  • basically
  • bear with me
  • bottom line
  • I hear what you're saying
  • in terms of
  • it's not rocket science
  • literally
  • ongoing prioritize
  • pushing the envelope thinking outside the box

We need to be clear in our minds before we can also write clearly.

Note: About the clichés, I'm glad to have found one of the clippings I've kept, sent by a friend.  The result came from one of the surveys by the Plain English Campaign. It may be more than six years ago or so, still, relevant today.

No comments:

Post a Comment