Search this Blog

Bibliophilia and Readings (Part 2)

Books We Read.
Note: This page is a continuation of  'Bibliophilia and Readings (Part 1)'.   

 
 
Dear bibliophile friends, any interesting books you're reading? From my lists below, continued from Bibliophilia and Readings (Part 1), can you identify books you have read, books in your shelves, books you're currently reading, books you want to read, books you're letting go, or...?   
 
My letting go of books continues; rereading old ones in the book shelves to find out which need to stay. 
 
 
31 March 2024
 
Happy Easter to all my book lover friends!  Mea culpa if I haven't any readings to share as I have been busy with my other love: watercolour painting. Soon my friends, soon. As I regularly cull books, it's but natural I re-visit those ones to let go.  Last week, eight went, mainly writing books I no longer need. The book I was reading when my watercolour brush pens interrupted me was Unpacking My Library: Writers and Their Books, edited by Leah Price. Very interesting. Some of them reminded me of me. Why? Simply because personal libraries of some writers mentioned spotlight the same books I've kept through the years. The editor (or interviewer) muses on the history and future of the bookshelf, asking what books can tell us about their owners. Each writer provides a list of top ten favourite titles, offering  unique personal histories along with suggestions for every bibliophile. Definitely, Unpacking will remain in my shelf.           
 
16 February 2024
 
Apollo's Summer Look by British author Kathleen Conlon. Published by Collins, in London (1968). It is summer in a seaside town. Rose and Sally, down from their second academic year are on a working vacation. Also newly emancipated from the apron strings of their families, both friends are anxious for exciting experiences. Unlike 21 year-old Sally who falls in and out of love as regularly as she changes her hair-style, one-year younger Rose deliberately embarks on an affair, confident that by October she'll be able to return to university emotionally intact. The atmosphere is set when 40-ish Philip arrives from London. Philip, whose marriage is in the doldrums, is not averse to a little light amorous delight with so willing a young partner. When summer ends, Sally escapes emotional entanglements, but both Rose and Philip have realised that passion revolves where "no strings attached" is broken as it was made. The story reminds me of the movie, Interlude, starring Oskar Werner  and Barbara Ferris (older sister of Pam Ferris). It is an old story told many times, but the author puts a pleasant spin.       
 
Interesting Reading: 
 
11 Bookish Words for Book Lovers.  Merriam-Webster Dictionary. Accessed February 16, 2024

 
(c) February 15, 2024. Updated March 31, 2024. Tel. Inspired Pen Web. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment