Search this Blog

Something special about Mozart

 Mozart!

(c) By Agnes Selby, Guest Writer-Friend

I can't remember a time when I was not "acquainted" with Mozart. What with the wonderful Mozart biscuits my grandmother baked and the special Viennese chicken coated in breadcrumbs and fried in butter, Mozart came to me first through my stomach. My grandmother's Mozart recipe book is now mine and although we do not fry in butter in a cardiologist's household, the pleasant memories still persist.

As time went on it was his music that engaged my heart. His piano concertos were my staple diet throughout both of my pregnancies for his music was the food I craved.

Later still, when "Amadeus" played in all the theatres around the world, I became alarmed that my Mozart had chosen a silly girl like Constanze for a wife. We lived in Philadelphia at the time and I read all about Constanze in the Curtis Institute's Library. I bought all the books I could find. Then I left for Salzburg where, through the courtesy of the Mozarteum, I spent a month locked up in the Mozarteum archives reading Constanze's letters and her diaries and all I could find about her in that vast library.

Mozart and his family became my family. His music a nourishment to the soul, a blessing in a world often gone mad, a peaceful retreat from chaos.

I fell in love with Mozart and his wife Constanze. My book Constanze, Mozart's Beloved became a labour of love. Now I tell Mozart and Constanze stories to my grandchildren and while we listen to Mozart's music, we indulge ourselves with goodies from my own grandmother's Mozart Cookery Book.  

Mrs. Selby is author of Constanze, Mozart's Beloved, and writer, Quadrant Magazine.

(Dear Agnes, much gratitude for all the information you shared with me generously through the years, either from private exchanges or from all our various Mozart forums online; the endless fun exchanging pleasantries and knowledge of famous composers, either over sumptuous lunches, and always, with a strong hot cuppa .  Here's a toast to all our Mozartean friends, and to dear Wolferl and future lovers of his music.)


Trivia:  Mrs. Selby's post is a fitting tribute to this musical genius. Why? Because today, November 20, in 1791, Mozart fell ill, and eventually passed on after 15 days, on Dec 5, 1791.  Despite disintegrating body, and naturally mental faculties, his last four months were spent composing some of the best music the master gave the world - operas The Magic Flute and La Clemenza di Tito, the ever-loved famous Clarinet Concerto, unfinished Requiem, and most likely other pieces.  Let's pause for a moment's gratitude, for the privilege of enjoying his music.


(c) November 21, 2012. Inspired Pen Web. All rights Reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment