Search this Blog

Anton Rubinstein Romance in E-flat Major, Op. 44, No. 1

Classical Music / Anton Rubinstein Music

Anton Rubinstein "Romance in E-Flat Major, Op. 44, No. 1" 


Enjoy this lovely piece of music "Romance in E-flat major" by Anton Rubinstein.  Isaac Stern: violinist, with Columbia Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Frank Brieff, 1972. Arranged by Arthur Harris.



This heart-warming music is popularised by Frank Sinatra, with a song of the same name, "If You Are But a Dream," written in 1942 by Moe Jaffe, Jack Fulton and Nat Bonx, based on Anton Rubinstein's "Romance in E flat, Op. 44, No. 1." It was recorded by Frank Sinatra, for Columbia Records on November 14, 1944 in New York, arranged and conducted by Axel Stordahl. In 1945 it was included in the Academy Award-winning short film, The House I Live In, which featured Frank Sinatra. The song can be found on the Columbia CD box set, The Best of the Columbia Years, 1943-1952 and The Columbia Years 1943 -- 1952: The Complete Recordings: 12 CD Box Set.  Enjoy this all-time favourite piece, both the music and the song. 





Lyrics of "If You Are But a Dream"

Sung by Frank Sinatra  

If you are but a dream
I hope I never waken
It's more than I could bear
To find that I'm forsaken
If you're a fantasy
Then I'm content to be
In love with lovely you
And pray my dream comes true.

I long to kiss you
But I would not dare
I'm so afraid that
You may vanish in the air
So darling
If our romance would break up
I hope I never wake up
If you are but a dream.


Songwriters: Jack Fulton / Moe Jaffe / Nat Bonx
If You Are But A Dream lyrics © O/B/O Apra Amcos

Addendum: (May 17, 2017)
Sharing a cello performance of Anton Rubinstein's Romance interpreted by my first ever favourite virtuoso cellist, Gregor Piatigorsky (1903-1976), long before other recent favourites, Jacqueline du Pre and M. Rostropovich.




Video Credit:
 Anton Rubinstein - Romance in E-flat Major, Op. 44, No. 1. YouTube, uploaded by Kanaal van viool7.  Accessed September 11, 2011.

Frank Sinatra "If You Are But a Dream."  YouTube, uploaded by catman916.  Accessed September 11, 2011. 

Gregor Piatigorsky plays Anton Rubinstein's Romance. YouTube, uploaded by aimson. Accessed May 17, 2017. 



(c)  September 2011. Tel. Inspired Pen Web.  All rights reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment