Search this Blog

Van Loon Lives book review by Agnes Selby

15 August 2006

I am re-reading one of my favourite books, "Van Loon Lives". I can recommend this book. The author is Hendryk van Loon. I have just ordered a copy for my grandchildren from Amazon.com.

It is in this book, where Mozart is invited to dinner with Hans Christian Anderson by van Loon and his friend, Fritz. The Marriage of Figaro is played in the background and Mozart is most impressed with the clarity of the orchestra and how much instruments have improved in quality. Likewise he also loves the sound of the piano and wonders what marvellous compositions he would have composed if only he would have had such a piano.

We meet interesting persons in this book including Beethoven, the Bachs, Elizabeth I and of course, Napoleon and many others.

(Thanks for this contribution Agnes. Agnes Selby is author of Constanze, Mozart's Beloved.)

No comments:

Post a Comment